Lara's solo expedition

Wednesday, July 12, 2006


I arrived in London and found my hostel in Clapham common. I was happy as it was large and relatively clean. That night I met up with Cass, Mark, Kel, Hayley, Anna and Nina at the small St Pauls church near covent station. It fantastic but so surreal having us all together on the other side of the world. Needless to say there was a large amount of nattering and quite a few ales consumed that evening. It really was like a day had not gone past. The following day we were to meet at Wimbeldon. I got there waited in line to enter for an hour and then went straight to court 2 where I waited for another hour or more. But didn't matter as I met a nice Aussie boy in line how helped to pass the time. No gossip mongers, he was just nice. I had no idea at this point how I was going to find the others. On arriving in court 2 I immediately spotted Norman (kelly's green purse) as Kel and Cass were seated directly across from us. We were there to watch Hingis play. Some embarrassing Aussie guys behind Kel and Cass provided the before game entertainment by beginning the wave and singing love songs to Hingis. The match was great, but was cancelled after one set of play. We waited around hoping the rain would stop, but no such luck :(. Well, at least we can all say that we went.
The following day we all met at Harrods, sadly Anna had left, but happily it was the first chance to catch up with Ten and Lisa. I am sure we did walk around Harrods but I didn't really see anything as I was too busy talking. Big surprise I know. That evening we all met up again for celebrations for Cass's 30th B'day (the inital reason for the gathering). I was very late as the bus decided to stop in well buggared if I know instead of Putney, so I had wondered around for quite a while before I realised what had happened. Bec and Tim also joined us and told me of there engagement. I was so excited!!!! We had dinner at a very yummy Indian resturant and great night was had all around. The following days we went to the tate modern, the natural history museum, ate more and hung out at hyde park. Each day somebody eles would have to leave. It was quite sad as I was unsure when I would see anybody again. Leaving really sucks!!!!! Most of the girls got to check out Ten's new fella Davi. I think he passed the girlfriend test with flying colours. On the last night with Ten and Lisa we went for drinks at Project Orange. I met Bec and Tim there and went for scrumptions dinner. After dinner I met up with the others at Mish Mash. As I walked into the place I immediately felt over dressed. I mean I had too many clothes on. :) I thought "Oh, well I will just dance with the girls". I went to the dance floor and got stuck there. I mean literally my feet stuck to the floor and I could not lift them. Quite funny. We had a great night. We had to wait about 30min to catch the bus, after being on the bus for a out 2min I realised that we were about 5min walk from the hostel. Ten and Davi didn't even notice as they were asleep. Actually, Lisa was also quite sleepy that night. Lisa went missing for ages, I got really concerned. I was calling her name out but there was no response. Eventually, I found her sound asleep, but I will let you all ask her where she was :). (Sorry Lisa the bribe didn't came through in time ) :). The following day the last of the minkes left town. :(
On Sunday I met Diddi at the train station and we went to her abode near North Newton, Somet. It was great to see Diddi as it had been way way to long. Diddi was working as a vet in the area. I went out on farm visits with her which were fantastic if not a little smelly at times:). I saw Diddi remove a cows cancerous eye, fix up a pigs anal prolapse, calve calves alive and dead(one was really quite gruesome and very difficult). It was fasinating to me. Diddi was great despite the farmers always giving her a look of "who the hell are you little girlie". It was so cool to see the farmers attitude change as they realise that she knows exactly what she is doing. I also made day trips to Bath and wells. I saw the roman baths in Bath and went on a tour throught the entire town in the pouring rain (true english fashion). Wells was a gorgeous little town too with an amazing cathedral and bishop palace. I still in complete awe at the extent of histroy throughout Europe. While at Diddi's place I went for a run with Diddi and realised in a very painful way that I am exceedingly unfit. Oh well, I will fix that when I settle. To finish a fantastic week with Diddi we went to the local beer festival. I thought it would be a little local affair with maybe a hundred people as we were in the country afterall. Oh my GOD no. The place was packed with people, paddocks filled with tents, numerous bands and food stalls. I had a great night. Met some interesting people and tasted a a variety of beers and scrumpy. scrumpy is cider that doesn't taste like alcohol but I can tell you is very toxic. I had a great night and a slow start in the morning when I headed off to Cambridge. I visited Atlanta and her Dad there. They were fantastic hosts. It is a gorgeous green and leaft area. We went on a lovely walk, bike ride and we also went punting. Atlanta's Dad was well versed in punting and gave me great lessons. I even managed to keep the boat straight, but I can't claim to have been moving anywhere in a hurry. Atlanta and I also went throught the collages of St John, King and Trinity. Wow, they are truly ornate. Trinty college Wren library is what impressed me the most though. They had an original copy of Issac Newton book with hand made corrections that he had made. There certainly alot of amazing people that went to Cambridge. Currently, I am in London again as I am flying out to South Africa tonight. I am very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Loo,
    l almost got excited about the Aussie guy in the line, oh well l will sit and wait. Good luck in South Africa and take care of yourself. Love you heaps and will catch up soon. Keep blogging.
    Mel

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds fantastic Lara! Geez reading this is a blessing and a curse! A blessing cause you're having the time of your life and a curse cuz its so easy to imagine being over there and enjoying it thoroughly!

    Ok now on the guessing game of 'where did she fall asleep'

    I'll take the 'She fell asleep on the potty' option thank you very much!

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey lara long time no hear from, where are you? are you alive? are you having fun?
    hope to see more stories soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home