Lara's solo expedition

Sunday, June 04, 2006



My last two days in Seville turned out to be fantastic. I met an Aussie girl Claire and a guy called Nathan. We spent the day together wondering the streets and visiting the Real Alcazares, which was impressive but nothing compared to the Alhambra in Granada. On our wonders we stopped in at the Museum of Flamenco and met Daniele. He invited and organised for us all to see a flameco show that night and to go out with him and his friends. The show was stunning. The flamenco dance strongly demonstrates the proud nature of the spanish. It was amazing to see the dancers move with such speed and controlled force. The following day Claire and I went to lunch with Daniele and we had some fantastic tapas. In the evening we went to Daniele place for Bosciola with his friends Leo and Sarah. We spent the evening hanging out, the guys played the guitar, playing drinking games and of course great food. It was quite funny trying to play a counting game when it was partly in spanish and partly in Italian. Though I have to say I can actually count alot better in Spanish now and did not suffer too much the next day. It was a great night. Sadly, I had to go to Lagos early the following morning and would miss the oppurtunity for Jose (Daniele spanish flatemate) to convince me of the value of bullfighting.
Lagos is a beautiful town. As I got off the bus a hawker started to hussel me to stay at his pension. I told him a few time 'no, I have a reservation'. I told him where it was and then he gave me the correct directions to the youth hostel. I was shocked. Yeah, I am in Portugal!!! The weather was fantastic and the beaches gorgeous. So I met some girls at the hostel and we spent quite a bit of time on the beach. Even I have got a base :). I went sea kyaking. On the way out it was stunning clear waters, fantastic rock formations, gorgeous private little coves. On the way back the wind pick up and so did the seas. I was sharing a boat with Atlanta. We struggled to row a straight path, so with the ways it was difficult ride back. It was great to do some exercise, I have missed that alot. The night life was interesting, but sorry girls I still have no stories for you. I liked the Lagos but it is VERY touristie and I was keen to see the true Portugal. Atlanta and I decided to travel together. She is very easy to travel with and I have really enjoyed it. First we went to Evora. A lovely town with with a great history. We visited the church of bones, which is decorated with real human bones. Quite strange. The other main thing of interest is we did a tour of the local Megaliths. They are stones not unlike stonehenge and caves with a drawings and etches dated 10,000 and the oldest around 50,000 years ago. That was amazing, particularly as I am reading abook about that sort of thing at the momment. Now, the food is great!!! I have had salted cod, which is very tasty as is the portugese tarts. We had some local cheese that was a liquard and the taste was to die for. Very happy!!
Next we made our way in to the hills to Castel de vide. A lovely little town with beautiful small wynding streets with all the buildings being white with yellow trimmings. We found a place to stay with a tiny bent over little lady. We had our own little apartment with all the old lady trimmings. We stayed a few days and always ate at the same resturant so we almost become locals. :). In the evening we we sat on the front step ate cheese and drank red whine and watched the locals sitting on there front steps. We made a day trip to Marvoa, population 100. It has the most stunning and well maintained castel I have seen. Also, we were quite high up so the view was amazing. We climbed all over the castel town and finally found a a bakery. It was so simple it could have been out of medieval times. The old man in side was so sweet. I was dying to take photos of all the old people on there steps but it was not allowed. Dam!!!! Before we left Castelo de vide we had snails. Fantastic!!!! We are now in Covilha (living it up in a hotel) and about to go into a national park for a few days where we can hopefully get a few walks done. Next I will email you from Lisbon!!!

6 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On you Loo Loo fantistic knew you would get back on your horse again. Was very pleased to see the blog as I was about to send an search sms ie How are you? where are you? but now I don't have to . Very glad to hear that things are going so well again. Life is a breeze you just have to watch out for the squalls

    Luv you lots
    Ya Marmummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Loo waiting for my e mail to catch me up on all the x rated stuff that can't go on the blog. Great to hear you are still well and living the life.
    Love Mel and Dave

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lara,
    Great to hear that thinga are back on track after you spate of bad luck! Really looking forward to seeing you in London! Sorry Em!
    Love Anna x

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lara,
    so glad you are well and enjoying Portugal. It really is a great place for holidays. Wish I was with you! You've tried the bacalhau (salted cod) but have you been brave enough to try sardines? They are very oily but great hot off the grill usually served with boiled potatoes and salad. Also, since you have started exercising you should try a few other cakes they have... there are heaps to choose from. By the way, Tony and I are off to Cambodia and Vietnam for 2 weeks in July. Looking forward to it!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So did you see any portuguese water dogs???
    :)

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "potugeese tarts" and "The night life was interesting, but sorry girls I still have no stories for you"...

    I staunchly remain to be convinced that the tarts were not tasty!

    brett.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home