


Morrocan keyboards are a little difficult soi please forgive me; this weeks excuse.
Greg and I hired a guide to tour us around the Medina of Fes. The guide, Abdal, gave us a great rundown of the history and culture of Fes, but also took us to his mates shops. Bargainning is a way of life and so is the hard sell. Firstly, we went to the carpet shop, where Australians are great as we sell them cheap Merino wool, therefore we give you good price. Once I convinced the guy it would not fit in my backpack we were taken to the roof with a beautiful view and mint tea, very refreshing with the mint still in it. Next we where off to the tannaries. Greg and I came away with a leather jacket each. They are good quality. After 2hrs of bargaining the price came down from 6000Dr to 2000Dr which is 400AUS. I am told by others this is a good deal, but think I should have bargained harder. It is a long red jacket. If anybody knows about how much it would be worth in Aus I would love to know as I am questioning if the weight is worthwhile. Yes, I am still a tight ass ยง. We then went to a variety of dress and scraf making shops. In the bargaining process we were dressed in the full berben outfit. But it was not enough to talk us into buying this. Early the next day we caught the local bus to Rissain, which was a rough ride for about 11hrs. The hasslers started from about 4hrs out of town trying to get us to stay and go to the Sahara with them. It was alittle intense. So glad we booked ahead. The following day we got a taxi to Merrzoga and then a camel ride through the Sahara. We spent the night with two Americans, Fred and Rowenia, and the local nomad sleeping under the stars. I do not think that I can give justice to the beauty of the Sahara, but I will try. Imagine sitting on blankets surrounded by giant dunes watching the full moon slowly rising. It is silent apart from the occasional criket. Then the nomad camel drivers begin to play the drums and sing. We woke early with the sun to see the colour of the dunes changing before our eyes and the little foot prints of night creatures all around. It was truely an amazing experience that I will never forget. Also, we climbed to the top of a very high dune and pretty much skied down. Alot of fun. The people of the Sahara hqve also been very friendly and no hussling. YEAH, quite a relief.Today we are going to go to Marrakesh. We are travelling with Fred and Rowenia at the momment. Yes the food is fantastic. Mostly stews, coscos, passteries and fruit. I am always happy when my taste buds are satisfied. Thinking about heading to the coast after Marrakesh. Yummmmmmmm, seafood.

7 Comments:
At 8:21 AM,
Anonymous said…
oooooooh
i want to go there!
(another one to add to my list). the jacket sounds cool too- and might be useful in the uk/winter if you can handle keeping hold of it for that long.
keep up the posting- i'm hooked!
At 9:07 PM,
Anonymous said…
Less typos than usual on a Morrocan keyboard though, Lars ;) Sahara sounds fantastic (and romantic?) - ditto to Anna's big hug to Greggles from us all
At 10:54 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Loo, wow what a great place, sounds just beautiful, do camels fart as much as they say?? I was just wondering whether that may have ruined the serenity of it all. Stay safe and travel happily will try and e-mail through some other news about the snotty twosome.
At 10:56 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey loo just have to tell you that l have just found out that l dont have to have a user name and a password every time, god l love IT keep up the news loo we all miss you very much (May is now 11 months away (optimistic)).
At 12:05 PM,
Anonymous said…
Lars!
Where the BLOODY HELL is my email? Anna gets one and I don't? Not happy... Or competitive...
And terribly jealous, of course. Remember the castle at Rheinfels (sorry, bit behind on my reading) and that area - awesome. Morocco sounds grand...
Meanwhile, huge hugs to Greg (who should also feel compelled to write me an email... But it's not all about me...) and you too...
At 3:16 PM,
Anonymous said…
hey lala! my first time replying, hope it works!! it all sounds so fantastic, you are living the dream girl!!!! oh yes, and was boy whose bed you were in a spunk??
Miss you back here!
Wens
At 1:27 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey louie!
Sounds grand! perhaps it'd be kewl if you could post a pic of that red jacket. My guess is it would be worthy a hefty price.
My jacket was about $350 Aus, but the quality is ok, not great.
I hope you got some photo's of that location in the Sahara, sounds like Dune but prettier.
Miss you as ever, lotsa lurb,
your bro
Post a Comment
<< Home