Lara's solo expedition

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Last I wrote we were catching the night bus to Marakesh. During this very hot, packed full of people, 12hr local bus ride Greg´s awe over my ability to sleep anytime, any position, anywhere and under any conditions (even people knocking into me and screaming arabic) began to develop. Greg was particularly astionished by the fact that I thought I was awake most of the night and that we only stopped twice. We actually stopped numerous times. Somethings don´t change :). On arrival in Marrakesh we were it was scorching hot and we were both quite exhausted from our travels and a little Moroccian bellie. So during the day we were pretty inactive, but when the cool of the night hits town Marrakesh main square becomes a hive of activity. It is a 50:50 mix of tourists and locals. There a numerous of food stalls all trying to drag you in for very cheap and scumptious dinner of lentils (yum), fried fish, calamari or prawns, salads, soups and the local favourite sheeps heads (no I chickened out as the head was still looking at me :)). There is also the best fresh orange judice I have ever had. For entertainment there are numerous musicians, dancers (some chickens on their heads), snake charmmers (touched it, got photos but felt quite sad for the snake as they where not in great condition)acrrobats and ladies wanting to paint you in henna. Marrakesh people hasseled you alittle but not to the same degree as in Fes. One morning I went down the local street (which I had been down with Greg numerous times with little hassel)to get some bread for breakfast. Previously, despite dressing conservativly, I had noticed leers but it was no drama. On my own I really felt the difference. I was OK but there was numerous comments (in arabic, but the tone was obvious) and the leers were much more distrubing. Romonia (american friend) had indepently made the same observations. After recoperating we made our way towards the beach town Essouria. Correctly nicknamed the "windy city". The temperature during the day was lovely but freezing at night. Within half hour of being there I felt like I was covered in salt. It is a lovely relaxed tourist town. We met nice couple at the hotel and went to see some local music at a strange bar one night and a feast of seafood the following night.
Time was running short for Greg so we made what we thought would be a hellish trip 2 day trip to San Jose in Spain. On the way we stopped in Cassablanca for a few hours and checked out a stunning Mosque there. Also, had the best best chicken and chips ever. Due to some comments at the previous broader crossing we were concerend that Greg would not be let back into Spain. All seemed to be going OK. Then as I was going through the metal detector Greg was dragged off into a little room. I got a little nervous as I had know idea what was going on. All I could hear was muffled talking and russling. Of course I thought the worst and assumed that Greg was being stripped searched. Then a man opened the door of the little room wearing rubber gloves. "Oh, my god it is a cavity search". Luckily, it turned out to be a routine bag search.
We arrived in San Jose hoping for some sunny weather. Greg wanted to work on his "base" as he will not see a beach for another year at least. It was very windy most of the time but the sun came out every now and again. We went on numerous walk in search of the perfect protected beach where the wind would not catch Greg by surprise by changing direction completely :). On the last day the sun came out properly and we returned to the first beach we found and had a lovely day lazing around on the sand. I am still in shock that I was there all day (with sunscreen)and didn´t get burnt. Next Greg heads north to eventually get to Germany for the world cup and I was to head west to Seville.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    not getting burnt and being in the sun all day?!?

    I always find that hard to comprehend!

    Great write up lara, felt like I was sleeping on the bus with you!

    Brett

     

Post a Comment

<< Home