Lara's solo expedition

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

From Budapest I made my way them to Eger. A smallish town in the country side of Hungry. Without thinking I arrived a little late in the day. I caught a taxi to a hostel listed in the lieing planet, oops I mean lonely planet of course. It turned out to be very very very expensive, but they kindly directed me to another pension up the road, which was also insanly expensive but did allow me to meet a lovely young couple how took me under there wing. We walked all over town with me feeling guilty for making them late for their date. After quite sometime I found a room in a private pension, but on arrival I had no idea where I was relative to the town and also did not have a decent map. So I thought I would just take a guess and go for a walk to find some food. Pitty I went in completly in the wrong direction, walk for miles but did stumble across a tesco so I ddint starve. The next day I took a walk out of town to the local wineary area, which was pretty, desterted and luckily for me still opened. I had a taste of 'Bulls blood' the tastiest red wine I have ever had. Also, had a farmers soup, which was fantastic paprika (of course) and fish soup, if you try it watch out for the numerous bones.
From Eger I made my way to the tiny town of Spisska Nova Ves (Slovkia) which is the entry to a national park that is meant to be a gorgeous. I arrived in town early found the tourist information, which was closed. I thought must be for lunch. I came back later. Crap, still closed. Now I was in trouble I didnt think that I could leave town today, had no information on a room and was feeling stuck and maybe a little desperate. As I was standing there a very dodgy old man came up and tol me he could help me. Of course, I was immediately suss of this parachute wearing old guy, but I was in a stuck. So I followed him down the main street. Initally, he takes me for a drink, but at least I could check with the people in the bar that this guy was telling the truth. Eventually, he did take me to a very cheap lovely hostel, but I had to endure him puckering up and trying to come to my room. First time my skin has ever truly crawled. YUCK!!! Anyhoo, I decided to leave town the next day. I headed to Starry Smokovec at the base of the Tatra's, a gorgeous mountain range seperating Slovakia and Poland. I stayed with harmless lovely old guy how loved to shake hands everytime he saw me despite actullay only having fingers to the first knuckles. Few people spoke English in the area. I spent most of my time taking walks in the mountains. It is a truly beautiful area with some very tasty food on offer. I attempted to go horse riding on a lovely gentle giant of a horse. I had dreamed of doing a trail ride through the mountains but the reality was a ride in circels with in a paddock. I had a great time in this beautiful area but it was a little isolating as few people spoke English and I was staying in private accommodation. So I headed to Bratislava to a hostel to search out some company. Once arriving at the hostel immediately met a variety of people to hang out with. It was a great few days of hanging out and shopping for future work clothes. Before heading to Barcelona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home