Lara's solo expedition

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Eastern Europe.

After some dramas with Ryan air (all I will say is always pay attention when lining up for a flight) I arrived in northern Italy. I caught the first bus to Slovenia, my actual destination. I walked up to the Slovenian boarder guard and asked him he could direct me to the bus station. He immediately organised a ride to the station. This was to set the tone for the Slovenian hospitality. I caught a bus to Bovec and was taken back by the stunning lush mountain side. All of the house were immaculate with blooming flowers in every window and white washed walls. I found a room with Ulga, who spoke very little english and seemed to think I was a bit of a worry. I spent the mornings hiking through the feilds and mountains and the afternoon doing adventure sports. On the first day I went Canyoning with Luka (the hottest guide alive). Luka was so hot I put my wet suit on inside out and my helmet on backwards twice. I was more than a little distracted. :) We went along the infamous freezing cold Socec river sliding and slithering through streams and jumping into pools from 6 meter high platforms. It was fantastic, such a rush and in a natural wonderland to boot. The following day I went Hydrospeeding. This is where you ride the grade two and three rapids on a plastic boogie board taht weights about 10 to 15kg. My only choice for the day was to go in the extreme class, yeah why not jump in the deep end. Firstly we had to walk about 20min down an extrememly steep track carrying all out gear (my legs ached from this for at least four days). THen we were sent down the river being dunked and flying over waves, which great fun. Bumping over rocks and flipping over was quite hairy. The only over girl was crashed into and lost her board and was half drown as she floated down the river. She was fine, but it scared the crap out of all of us.
I decided to head on to Bled for one night that somehow turned into four nights. I met Amanda (fun English lass who was meant to be in Prague working)upon arriving in Bled. The mananger of the Geroge best hostel we were staing in was a fantasic guide to the town and his numerous injuries (born and bled was jsut alittle crazy). THere is a fresh water lake in Bled that is so clear people go diving and you can watch them from the surface. I went for numerous walks around the lake and surrounding area, swims in the lake, saw the sunset from the local castle and had many nights out on the very quite town of Bled. I met great people on these ventures. I also walked to Vintgar gorge, which is absolutly breathtaking canyoning where you get to walk the length of it in side the canyon. Again the water was crystal clear and cold!! On the walk back to Bled I stopped in Zasip to watch some old men play Boche. They were so sweet explaining how it worked. I love Slovenia!!!
Amanda, Jeremery (Young Belgium guy) and I went paragliding over Bohinj Lake. Bohinj turned out to be even more beautiful then Bled. Our guides were alot of fun and somehow made it easy to run off a cliff. I do not think I can explain the sensation of gliding through the air and seeing the earth flowing paste beneath you. But I will say it must be experienced!!!! Bohinj was so beautiful Amanda, Liam (South African guy) and I decided to go stay and hike around the lake. The walk was so beautiful Liam and I decided to make our way further and see a waterfall. We had to be fast though as the last ferry was in 2hrs and that was how long it would take to get to the waterfall and back. It was well worth the walk and would have caught the ferry if we had followed the directions we had given Amanda to the Ferry but no we decided to get lost instead. After that it was a long slow walk to the hotel. But in my fatigured state Liams suggestion of climbing 2868mt to the summit of Mt Triglav seemed like a great idea. Actually, he was right for a change. :) Liam and I prepared for our three day hike to the peak, while Amanda decided were she would go next.
The first day of hiking was long (8hrs) and the country side was beautiful. I was scared by a toad, swam in the coldest waterfall I have ever been in (my skin actually stung from the cold), got lost, avoid Liams idea of a river crossing and spent the night in the cupboard. The second day we only walked 2hrs to the next hut (about 2200mt) as the weather was optimal for climbing the summit. We whiled away a lovely day me annihilating Liam at 500 and talking to fellow travellers and locals alike. The night was freezing and the view of the moonlight reflecting off the top of the undulating clouds was breathtaking. The following morning I work early, Liam hardly slept due to flem inducing snoring, and began our climb to the summit. We had left any vegeation far behing and you could see sheets of ice clinging to the upper reaches of the mountain. The climb was tough and most of the time we were on all fours and hanging on to guide wires. There was barely room for the Slovenians to run on past us. :) It ws tough but reaching the summit was worth it. The day was clear and youd could see all the way to the Austrain Alps. Liam eventually found a flat rock for the summit stamp we very slowly made our way down. The climb down was scarrier for me than on the way up as you had to go down backwards and blind a large part of the way. On the same day we made our way to the bottom in 8hrs total. Luckily for us a lovely Slovenian gave us a ride back to Bohinj.
The following day we went on to Lubranji (still have not figured that spelling out)and I spent a few hours checking out the town, as there was not much to see. The following day we went to the Skocan caves, which were nice, but uninspiring. We ended up in Piran for a few days of well earned R and R. It is a cute little seaside town with quite a bit of history, seeing the boarders in this area have changed repeatedly. As Liam returned to the UK to work I headed for Croatia. I began in Pula. There are two main attractions in Pula as I see it. One the Truffels, which were pungent and delicious. Two the roman Ampitheatre which rivals the colassium in Rome. I am now in Split, not a very inspiring town but has allowed me to catch up on all my jobs. I was going to be on the Croatian islands for my Birthday but the weather has finally turned bad so I think I will stay on land until it changes. Where that is I have not quite decided, so stay tune for the next exciting update.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lara!
    Love this update. Especially about how you totally lost the plot in front of the hot tour guide. Hilarious! Hope you had a fantastic birthday yesterday. We sent you text messages, but not sure if you can get them.

    Love you heaps and miss you and so so so jealous of all your adventures!
    Anna x

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello my old darling. Thanks to Brett Paul & I have finally caught up with all the 'doings since you left Jill and co in South Africa. One word"WoW" no two words "WOW WOW" Fantastic. Now I have all the inbetween bits to what you told me on the phone. You are one amazing young lady who I had never realised up until now has such a strong death wish. No seriously you sound like you have had a marvellous time and I am so happy for you. Love you lots and please keep the old bod in one piece. Remember I gave you it in perfect condition 29 years ago and I expect it to last the distance. Again Love you lots and take care Mum and Paul

     

Post a Comment

<< Home