Lara's solo expedition

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Return to South Africa

The security when crossing into South Africa from Namibia is amazing. Firstly, the usual check of your passport. Secondly, they take your finger prints using an electric scanner and make you wait as it checks for your criminal record, I felt like I was in mission impossible or something. Lastly, the cutest little puppy smells all your bags and the interior of the truck. Toughest crossing I have had yet. We drove south to Citdel. Along the way we stopped for lunch when the truck was parked in a sinkwhole. Weirdest thing just one spot about the size of a tire was like wet cement at a picinic stop. Anyhow, the fields of wildflowers throughout this area were absolutely stunning. Every colour and shape you could imagine and covered any uncultivated land. Emina were very excited to find that there was a immaculet hot spring fed pool at our camp site in Citdel. It was so relaxing to lie back in the 38C pool and look up at the rising steam and the bright night stars.
The following day we arrived in the world renowned wine region of Stellenbosh. The majority of our group went on a full day winnery tour here. The wines were very tasty, even to my inept pellet. There was also some devine cheese and chocolate along the way. We went out that night, but it was jossel dancing (when the crowd is so close all you can do is move with it) not my thing.
The truck tour finished up in Capetown, where I was to spend a further week. Capetown is a beautiful city on first view as is trapped between the imposing Table mountain and the wild cold ocean. I went on a tour to Robben Island, where four jails were located and Nelson Mandalia (a numerous other political prisoners) was kept for 20years. This was a humbling experience. We were taken around the jail by a unimposing and articulate man, who we were to soon find out from a young age was trained in guerrilla warfare. He was held within the stark confines of Robben Island jail for6 years starting in his late teens. He allowed us an insight to the life in the prison; from the blatant dehuminisation of the prisoners (given numbers to replace there names), sensoring the mail and to the distinct difference in rations for blacks and colours. Despite the hardship that had been inflicted on this man it appeared that held need for revenge or hate but was eleated that there dream of all people being treated the same was coming into fruition.
The following day Emina and I decided to climb table mountain, but the clouds were about so the view was somewhat obstructed. On the Platue there is a variety of walking tracks surrounded by stunnning wild flowers and lots of cute little lizards. By the time Emina and came down in the cable cart that spun 360 degrees we were quite exhausted, but still able to go for a sefood feast. Will never forget the squid stuffed with fetta, YUM!!!.
Next day we went on a township tour. Initally I was concerned that it would be like walking through someones loungeroom (invading their homes and being unwelcome). But it was not like that at all. Everyone was very friendly and we were allowed the chance to learn alot of history. The best part of the day was going to a school and seeing all the children singing and dancing. We also went to an orphanage, which was heart renching as the children that had only bearly begun to walk immediate flocked to you for attention and cuddles. They were very sweet and letting go of them was difficult. I must be getting cluckie in my old age. :)
On a farily dreary day Emina and I took a tour to Cape of Good hope. We saw seals swimming (which left Emina sopping wet for the day), cute waddling penguins, alot of cloud from the view points, Ostrich on the beach, Douns (little mammal with the closest relative being the elephant, weird), beautiful vegetation and I went for a bike ride through the park. All in all a lovely day.
Before leaving Capetown I did a couple more hikes up, down and around Table mountain, which had nothing to with realisation that I had put a sizable amount of weight on after being on the truck tour.

Next off to London for the night then on to Eastern Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home